As we get ready to lamb each year we like to have a convienent kit that is easy to use and contains the essentials for some common situations we might need to deal with.
- Rubbing alcohol – Essential for sterilizing tools/implements
- Iodine & scissors – Used to cut the umbilical cord and kill any bacteria that might travel towards the naval and cause infection. It also helps to seal off the umbilical cord.
- A syringe, 6″ rubber tube & some lubricating gel. A common problem with lambs not feeding at birth is constipation. Some glycerin or warm soapy water or will help relieve this problem by enema.
- Variety of bottles to hold implements or collect colostrum.
- A stomach feeding tube and bottle. Stomach tubing can be tricky so ensure your confident in your intubating abilities first.
- Rubber gloves. If any pushing/pulling is necessary, get the long kind.
- A sling, scale and notepad for record keeping.